Monday, July 18, 2005

So, you want to be a Chef?

Thursday 14th July 2005:

This morning, I awoke to my alarm on time, but soon fell back to sleep and woke up again to find that my slot in the bathroom had been lost. I washed quickly, but didn’t have time to shave and boy did I get it when I got to work. The Head Chef asked me this morning, ‘Michael, have you lost something today?’. The Sous Chef endlessly remarked about it every time he saw me, asking, ‘Do you want to be a Chef?’. My response was, ‘Are you saying I’m not a chef?’. To which he responded, ‘Do you want to be a good chef?’. I was quickly running out of ammunition.

Despite, my slightly dishevelled appearance the day went well. I was assigned to the pastry section and spent most of the morning preparing ice cream mixes- cracking dozens of eggs and weighing out ingredients. The afternoon and early evening was spent doing similar things- to be honest, nothing very interesting to tell you.

No comments: