Monday, July 18, 2005

The cleaner was actually scrubbing the pavement!

Sunday 17th July 2005:

Today, we only had a few of us in the prep kitchen during the morning. Every morning the restaurant is cleaned by a professional contract company. This morning, I even watched one of them mopping the pavement outside the restaurant. I would understand if it was marble, tiles or stone, but is it is just your average balck tarmac and it was being srupilously cleaned. Another sign of the prestige of this establishment. After our lunch, one of the stagieres helped me with the last few tasks, before he returned to the main kitchen to observe restaurant service and I could finish early for the day at about 1PM. At last an actual half-day.

When I left there was quite a lot of renovation going on in the house. The main stairway and landings are being re-carpeted, as well as a floor for the new chocolate room up-stairs (attached to the lab). On monad, the prep kitchen and fruit & veg. stores will be fitted with new air conditioning units as well. This is an area that is impressive- Heston is continually re-investing and putting money back in to his successful business.

I drive home and fell a sleep watching the television. About an hour later I woke up and was so disorientated that I couldn’t even remember for a few moments what day it was.

Later in the early evening I drove out to the small riverside village of Cookham and discovered a trendy little pub/restaurant called, ‘The Ferry’. I’m going to write more about this place later, but I automatically thought that it had successfully created the kind of atmosphere I would like in my own restaurant. Young, fresh and stylish.

No comments: