Monday, July 18, 2005

I can't buy a single English apple!

Monday 18th July 2005:

This morning whilst shopping at Sainsbury’s I tried to make a conscious decision to buy only British fresh fruit. I chose some loose fresh cherries, only to discover that they were I fact from Turkey. I returned them and decided to choose a small pack of English cherries from Kent. Trying to find an English apple proved far more difficult. I couldn’t believe that it was in fact impossible to buy a British eating apple in the middle of summer. The only English variety available was a Bramley apple- Golden Delicious from South Africa, Fiji from China, Braeburn from New Zealand. Eventually I had to settle for a small rustic looking eater from Holland. Of cause bananas came from Costa Rica, but you cannot have everything, can you?

No comments: