Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Education= Bits of PAPER?

Today I was speaking to a friend about a new course I begin on Thursday with the John Hopkins University School of International Public Health, in USA via the internet. The course will last the Autumn semester and is in International Food Security, Production and the Environment. He asked me why I would want to do this particulalry when I expalined that I didn't think there was certification at the end of it. I said, 'But education isn't all about bits of paper!'. He replied, 'Of cause it s!'. I retorted, 'No, education is about aquiring knowledge', he replied, 'No, it's all about getting bits of paper'. We had to agree to disagree on this one.

The certificate is surely irrelevant. Do I study a degree for the letters after my name? Well, yes, that is a big part of it! It certainly adds credibility, prestigiousness, but in itself that is the wrong way to go about things. Education, in its purest sense is about gaining increased understanding and applying what you learn to become wiser, more knowledgeable, in affect- better at what you do. That is why I study and seek to gain more education. A certificate at the end of the process is a bonus. A nice thing to have, but by no means at all, is it a requirement.

So, life at Uni? I have to be honest and say that I am continually dissapointed. Possibly because I am not putting in all I should, but mostly because I simply do not think I am being stretchted to capacity. I am simply not learning enough- not hearing enough new things, not being challenged sufficiently. I expected to be stretched and I have no doubt that will come. For the time being I am busy enough with other things to do the miniumum and wait until I need to work harder. Possibly not the best approach but at the moment- the most practical one.

I am learning. If I wasn't I wuld not be here. But I have to wonder, I am learning enough to make this all worthwhile? Who knows?

Possibly only time will tell?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's great! If you learn more there is a one more educational site regarding chef.
Please visit the site and learn more.
Chef Education

David said...

I agree, in my view the best thing of reading, getting admission in university, college or institute is learning the things, do the practical and get a maximum knowledge for what you are spending the money and time but if you don’t get knowledge, and don’t know how the things happen after course and get the certificate than sorry for saying it is just piece of paper. People respect and know you because of your work. Company hires the people who can do the task for them and not for those who just have the certificate.

Personal Chef Menu

Kelly Lehman said...

Certificate is the prove of your hard work and knowledge but in the end it depends on you how to use your knowledge and hard work to convert into the bright future. School, colleges and institution gives knowledge, skills and learning but how to utilize it depend on you.

Chefs Louisville

Unknown said...

Wow! What a nice sharing. I am new here and and like it. Thanks
Personal Chef