Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sunny day in Royal Maidenhead

Today, I drove up to Royal Maidenhead and Windsor, to try and secure some where to stay whilst I work at the Fat Duck. The journey wasn't too bad and I viewed several places. It has been a little difficult to find someone willing to let for such a short period, as I am only there for 4 weeks. However, I did manage to get three possible places. One was a complete dive. The other was more suitable, with an en-suite bathroom and television. However, I have decided to lodge with an elderly couple on the outskirts of town, in a small house which backs on to the river. The room is small, but has a fridge and microwave and will only cost £70 a week.

I also drove into Bray which is only a 5-10 minute drive from the outskirts of Maidenhead. To my surprise it is quite an attractive little village. Today, it was a bright sunny summer's afternoon and there were plenty of people milling around. As I drove in to Bray, there were a few teenagers kicking a football around on the green and behind them was the village cricket team, playing in their pristine whites. An idealic village scene. The Fat Duck is situated directly on the main road, which unfortunately is quite busy with passing traffic. It is quite a plain building from the outside, altough I didn't venture inside. Despite its humble appearance, it is overlooked by the local parish church and several attractive little cottages. I only had time to catch a few snapshots on my camera, before driving on to another viewing and then rushing back to Sussex, via the M4, M25 and M23 southbound in time for work. Yes- I was late!

No comments: