Friday, March 02, 2012

Life in the Cotswolds

In May last year, I moved to Gloucestershire and have been working as a Chef de Partie at a great village pub! Earlier this week, I left the pub to return to Sussex.
However, I enjoyed the temporary re-location and being able to live in the countryside. It was not until my arrival in the village of Southrop, that I realised that until then- I have always lived in urban England. There are many things I had taken for granted and others that I simply had never experienced. When not at work, life moved at a much slower pace and without many of the distractions of the town and city. The village is small, with a population of around 300 people- with no permanent shop. It was a real change of life-style, probably increased by the fact that I did not own a car whilst I was there.
I can reflect on some great experiences. I loved to observe nature and the changing seasons. These changes are sometimes less obvious in many towns (I recognise that London is famous for it's parks). A whole physical landscape changes between spring and winter. This is evident when you are surrounded by green spaces.
I spent a great deal of time outdoors- on walks, cycling or gardening. I will post more about some of these experiences soon.

No comments: