Sunday, April 30, 2006

Good Food?

I do not often write about where I currently work in Birmingham, but have realized recenty how much I learn and how this expereince influences my whole philosophy and understanding of food. For example, last week we began to use white asparagus with two dishes on the menu. I don't think I even knew that such a thing existed, let alone tasted it before. Today, I even read a chef in America (New York restauranteur Daniel Boulud) who commented that white asparagus was infact his favourite kind. It does have a unique, individual flavour and good texture, but I believe lacks the beauty and ofcause vibrant colour of traditionally green asparagus. I must confess that I have also discovered a liking for other fine ingredients like imported black truffles and fresh turbot, with meaty, beautifully rich fish. Currently, we accompany troncettes of lobster with a fresh spaghetti, blended with parmessan, truffle oil, salt and a little freshly grated black truffle. It looks and tastes divine!

I could go on and on about the beautiful use of delicious ingredients- sometimes the very best that can be sourced, golden brown scallops with squid and saffron orzo, chicken with caramelized apple, sweetcorn and maple syrup, enormous sweet souffles with our own iced-creams. Good food? No, more, fantastic food, carefully prepared and presented with a master's touch.

No comments: